HANDBELL MUSICIANS OF AMERICA AREA 12
invites you to
THE HANDBELL HOP
at The DoubleTree by Hilton, Modesto
1150 9th Street
June 16-19, 2016
Michael Glasgow and Kimberlee Strepka
Here are some of the ways you can Rock and Ring Around the Clock at the Hop!
Beginning on Thursday, each day offers half-day tracks from which to choose. Topics range from solo and quartet ringing to working with youth, musicality through motion language, small numbers—small spaces, processing with handbells, music therapy—behavioral science and rehearsals, if handbells grew on trees and much more! Click here to view the available tracks!
Here’s how the track system works:
- Determine which days you will attend the conference. You may attend each day independent of all other days.
- Select a half-day track for each morning and/or afternoon for Friday and Saturday. You will have the chance to experience two different topics each day you attend. Your ringing experiences and classes for the day will revolve around your two chosen topics.
- If you choose to attend only half the day, sign up for just that track.
- Important Note: You are registering for each track as an individual, not as a group. While your director may complete the registration process for you, this conference is designed for all ringers and directors to attend as individuals.
- All tracks include lunch, either before or after the track time, where all participants will gather together at the same time for announcements and a special lunchtime concert.
- In addition to the lunchtime concert, there are activities in the evening following dinner, which are on your own. There are opportunities to participate in Open Table–sharing forum, reading sessions, and possibly even a “sock hop” or chance to learn “the Slide” dance from the 50’s.
- Sunday registration is division massed ringing. Choose the level of music you think you can master, sign up, and purchase the music. Full choirs are welcome, and if you have ringing spots open, please let us know if you are willing to host individual ringers. Please see the division ringing repertoire list. Music should be prepared prior to the event. Photocopies are not permitted, please use originals.
- There are two pre-conference track opportunities: one for directors–directors’ workshop, and one for a small number of intermediate to advanced ringers–Bronze Cruisers Ensemble.
Area 12 offers the chance for intermediate to advanced ringers to play some more difficult music in a showcased choir setting. This year’s conference choir is called the Bronze Cruisers Ensemble, and will be under the direction of Michael Glasgow. The Bronze Cruisers Ensemble is an elite track that begins on Thursday and ends with a concert Friday afternoon. Michael will choose several from the six pieces for the concert. For more information on the conference choir and how to apply, click here.
Area 12 is now accepting applications from handbell groups, small ensembles or soloists wishing to perform a mini-concert at the Handbell Hop Conference in Modesto this summer. There are several performance opportunities available, and any group or individual affiliated with an Area 12 membership is welcome to apply. Find more information here!
SUNDAY DIVISION/MASSED RINGING
On Sunday, massed ringing has two divisions: A and B. Both divisions provide an opportunity to ring under the baton of two conductors in rotation during the day, and will perform in the final conference concert at 3:30 p.m. For a list of Sunday’s division/massed repertoire, click here.
|Daily||Triple Day Discount|
|Early Bird Rate
(by March 13, 2016)
(March 14 – May 15, 2016)
(May 16 to day of conference
|Conference Registration Fee||$20
|Guest Registration Fee||$5|
|Lunch & Concert Ticket for Guest||$35|
|Conference Choir (includes dinner)||$125|
|Director’s Workshop (includes
dinner & music)
|Outside Hotel Fee
(not staying at the Doubletree and
living more than 50 miles away
Early Bird Discounts end midnight PST March 13, 2016
Payment in full by May 16, 2016
The conference registration fee is $20 and is non-refundable.
Cancel before March 14, 2016, and receive a 100% refund (excluding conference registration fee).
Cancel on or before May 16, 2016, and receive a 50% refund (excluding the conference registration fee).
There is no refund after May 16, 2016.
The Double Tree by Hilton Modesto is a crossroads for many Northern California destinations such as: Yosemite National Park, Sacramento, and Napa Valley, making it an ideal place for both a vacation and a handbell event. Guest amenities include a warm chocolate chip cookie upon check-in. Sweet Dreams® by Double Tree sleep experience; Complimentary Wireless high-speed internet access and remote guest-room printing; Direct Satellite Service movies and premium television channels (HBO®, CNN®, ESPN®); Coffee by celebrity chef Wolfgang Puck and assorted Tazo Teas; Sweet Dreams alarm clock radio with MP3 connectivity; USA Today® delivered each weekday morning; Two telephones, voicemail and data port; CITRON Honey & Coriander by Crabtree & Evelyn® Bath Products; 24 Hour Fitness by Precor cardio equipment with personal TV screens and free weights; Gift shop, Salon, Pool & Spa and ATM and does welcome pets!